May 26, 2023
Doing the laundry doesn’t have to be a dreaded household chore! We all know that laundry is an inevitable part of our lives, but let's face it, choosing the right washer and dryer for your family can make a major difference. With so many options available, it's important to consider your family’s specific needs and preferences when browsing for potential washers.
We’re here to help you discover the perfect washer and dryer that will cater to your family’s laundry requirements, ensuring hassle-free clean, and fresh clothing every time.
Before we go any further, take a moment to reflect on your family’s needs and consider the following factors to find a machine that will cater to your exact needs:
- Family Size: How many people are in your family? The size of your household will determine the load capacity you need from your appliance.
- Laundry Frequency: How often do you do laundry?
- Fabric Types: What types of fabrics are frequently washed? Delicate fabrics, heavy-duty work clothes, or sports uniforms may require specific settings or features to ensure the best cleaning and care.
- Space: How much space is in your laundry room? Are you working with a compact area or do you have a lot of room to fit large appliances?
- Lifestyle: Are you busy and always on the go? Consider features like quick wash cycles or smart capabilities that can streamline your laundry and save you time.
- Cleaning Power: Do you often encounter tough stains like mud on sports uniforms or food spills on kitchen towels? If so, look for washers equipped with stain removal features or pre-soak options to tackle these stubborn stains.
Now that you’ve established what your needs are, let's explore the different types of washers and dryers available on the market to find what style best fits your needs.
Top-load washers are the most traditional type of washers where you load your clothing in from the top. They are generally more budget-friendly and offer a faster standard washing cycle. However, they typically use more water and energy compared to front-load washers.
- Easy to load and unload laundry without bending over
- Generally more budget-friendly compared to other types
- Option to add clothes mid-cycle
- Faster standard wash cycles
- Less susceptible to odor and mold
Front-load washers have gained popularity over the years for their energy efficiency and gentle cleaning capabilities. Instead of using a top lid like top-load washers, front-load washers have a door on the front side of the machine where you load the clothes.
- Energy-efficient and water-saving
- Superior cleaning performance
- Can handle larger loads
- Gentle on clothes, especially delicate fabrics
Stackable washer and dryer units allow you to stack both appliances vertically, freeing up valuable floor space. Whether you opt for a top load or front load configuration, stackable units offer convenience without compromising performance.
- Ideal for small spaces or laundry closets
- Allows for separate washing and drying units stacked vertically
- Space-efficient and convenient for apartments or compact laundry areas
Washer-dryer combos are highly versatile appliances that integrate both washing and drying functions within a single unit. This innovative combination allows you to conveniently initiate a laundry cycle in the morning and return to find your clothes thoroughly cleaned and dried later on. With a washer-dryer combo, the process of doing laundry becomes straightforward and effortless.
- Saves space by combining washing and drying functions into a single unit
- No need to transfer clothes between separate machines
- Convenient for those with limited space or no separate laundry room
- Suitable for smaller households or individuals with lighter laundry needs
- Provides flexibility with the option to wash and dry in one continuous cycle
Here are a few tips to help you narrow down your search and find the best laundry appliance for you and your home:
- Capacity & Size: Think about the amount of laundry your family generates and the available space in your laundry area. You want a washer and dryer that can handle your needs without overwhelming the room.
- Energy Efficiency: In a world where sustainability matters, energy efficiency is key. Look for washers and dryers that are ENERGY STAR Certified. These appliances not only save you money in the long run but also contribute to a greener planet.
- Special Features: Modern washers and dryers come with a range of special features that can enhance your laundry experience. From customizable cycles and steam cleaning options to smart home integration and allergy-friendly settings, the possibilities are endless.
- Noise Levels: When shopping for a washer and dryer, look for machines that are below 75 dB. Machines below 75 dB are considered to be quiet while operating.
- Durability & Reliability: Look for a machine that is built to last with high-quality materials. You can read reviews, check product ratings, and consider brands with a reputation for longevity in order to ensure your washer lasts for years to come.
- Budget Considerations: Set a realistic budget and explore options that offer the best value for your money. Don't forget to consider long-term savings in terms of energy efficiency and maintenance costs.
- Brand Reputation: Look for well-established brands such as Speed Queen and Maytag with a track record of manufacturing reliable and high-performing washers and dryers.
Are front-load washers more energy-efficient than top-load washers?
Yes, front-load washers are generally more energy-efficient as they use less water and require less energy to operate. They are designed to be environmentally friendly while delivering superior cleaning performance.
Can I stack a front-load washer and dryer if I have limited space?
Yes, front-load washers and dryers are stackable, making them an excellent choice for compact laundry areas. Ensure that you choose compatible models specifically designed for stacking.
Are washer-dryer combos suitable for larger families?
Washer-dryer combos are typically more suitable for smaller households or individuals with lighter laundry needs. They have a smaller capacity compared to separate washers and dryers, making them less efficient for larger families.
Can I pause a wash cycle in a top-load washer?
Yes, most top-load washers have a pause function that allows you to add or remove items during the wash cycle.
Are front-load washers prone to mold or odor issues?
While front-load washers can be susceptible to mold or odor if not properly maintained, regular cleaning, leaving the door slightly open between cycles, and using detergent designed for front-load washers can help mitigate these issues.
How long do washers and dryers last?
On average, a well-maintained washer can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years, while dryers typically have a lifespan of 10 to 13 years.
At Standard, you can shop the best stackable, combination, front-loading, or top-loading washing machines on the market. Simply stop by our appliance store locations in Beaverton, Portland, Bend, or Hollywood, Oregon, to view our great selection of laundry appliances from top leading brands.
On a budget? Not a problem! We have the best prices on high-quality appliances and even offer an extensive clearance section where you can find unbeatable prices on top loaders, front loaders, and more. Make the hassle of dealing with laundry a thing of the past when you shop at Standard.